Monday, February 22, 2010

Steyr AUG A3 initial function test/firing and mini-review

The first firing/function test of the Steyr AUG A3 built by Sabre Defence. A very nice rifle if you like bullpups. I've never been a huge fan (although, just like everyone else in the 80s, I wanted an AUG because of Die Hard) but I could very easily be talked into this rifle (if I had a left-handed bolt handy).

The compactness and quality of the design is readily apparent, the handing is butt-heavy as expected but not overly so, and the rifle is easily balanced and controlled with the shooting hand. The forward grip is necessary, and I wouldn't recommend firing with it in the forward/upward position, as some gas from the flash suppressor is directed downward. Even with the forward grip in the down position, some residue was noted on the forward hand after firing.

I dig the new bolt release, and the AUG mags are top quality and load like buttah. Pity they're pricey.

Ergonomically the only major issue (apart from the obvious problem of me being left-eye-dominant and habitually shooting long guns left-handed) is the proximity of the charging handle to the scope mount, which has sharp, square edges. But that's really the fault of the scope mount, not the rifle. A holographic sight with integral picatinny mounts would be ideal here. Or if one didn't want to adhere to the space-age aesthetic, some flip up iron sights.

I look forward to additional time with this rifle in the future. Maybe I can track down a lefty bolt. Hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment