Thursday, February 11, 2010

I fixed it! Mossberg/New Haven 20 gauge misfeeds

A buddy of mine has an old New Haven 600 (store-branded Mossberg 500) that has jammed and double-fed ever since he got it. He sent it back to Mossberg twice; they insisted it was fine.

After much tinkering and gnashing of teeth, I fixed it!

I adjusted the slide stop and interrupter (and eventually just replaced with the new, ramped type interrupter). That fixed the double feeding problem, but the gun still jammed on chambering about 20% of the time. Replaced the elevator, no dice. So I noticed it might be the extractors, of all things. I compared the amount of force it took to get the rim past the extractors on an uninstalled 12 ga bolt (with 12 ga shells obviously) and the 20; the 20 was at least double the force and quite rough. The sharp edge of the right side extractor was actually shaving brass off of the side of the shell. So I carefully used a fine file and paper to radius/polish the extractors (removed the left one entirely and replaced after polishing), and polished the bolt face and THE GUN FEEDS PERFECTLY!

I can't tell you how proud I am of myself. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment