Thursday, March 4, 2010

My first handgun match



A couple of friends of mine asked me to go with them to the UDPL match last Saturday. I was a little nervous having never attended anything like this before, but it was sooooo much fun and the old timers were extremely cool and helpful. I did okay for my first time I guess. I need some mag holsters, as I was losing 3 seconds per reload fishing them out of my pocket.

Definitely can't wait to go again. Now I REALLY need to get started reloading. Factory ammo is expensive!

They only have about 4 or 5 wheelgunners in the club, all shooting pretty much the same gun (performance center .357 8-shot with moon clips). The fastest guy was shooting handloaded .38 short colt rounds with 180-grain cast lead pills over about 3.5 gr of clays IIRC. Said it was a very clean load and he liked them a lot.

Really nice guy. Another wheelgunner in our group let me shoot his PC with some custom trigger work... man what a smooooooth trigger.

Another guy I talked to was shooting 240 grain HCLSWC pills in his .38 spec. loads at about 800 fps IIRC. Those old timers were all pretty quick and smooth. Made me want to get a big wheelie.

Results are out: I got 10th out of 28 in the High-Cap division, 13th out of 54 overall. Right mid-pack where I hoped to be. Next time I'll work on being faster moving and reloading. Hopefully top 10. Either way, it'll be a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment